- Cumulative culture
- Social learning
- Cultural evolution
- Gene-culture co-evolution
- Material culture, including Tool use and Associative tool use
- Executive Functions
- Comparative cognition
- Social-conventional culture
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS:
Cumulative culture in children
Are groups of children able to produce cumulative culture (the "ratchet effect")?
Associative tool use (use of two or more tools)
Are young children able to use two tools in combination to solve problems without receiving help? Do different ways of combining tools differ in difficulty?
Children's social vs individual learning (with Alison Gwilliams, Lewis Dean, Rachel Kendal & Claudio Tennie)
Past Research projects
- Children’s spontaneous tool use - how do children come up with novel tool behaviours on their own? What kind of tool behaviours can young children invent on their own?
- Young children's understanding of false beliefs about object identity in a helping study (Master project)